With the epic party scenes, themed bars and heart-pumping adventures, there is no other place that is better than Thailand. It is also one among the most exotic holiday spots that lures thousands of travellers every year, owing to its great hoary beaches, coral reef islands and atypical habitation.
Nevertheless, planning for an international trip always concerns you with the cost factor. And especially, if you are planning for a bachelor trip to Thailand. The country is a well-worn place on the backpacking trail and everything is expedient and easy.
However, travelling to this part of the world in the cheapest way is possible and it is only a matter of making the right decision. We at iTraveller bring to you the ultimate guidelines on how to explore Thailand on a budget. Glance through some quick money saving tips listed below that cover all aspects such as accommodation, transport, eating, shopping and of course, having fun. Here is everything to get you as much value as it can out of every last baht.
Money Saving Tips in Thailand
- Travelling To and Within Thailand
Cheap travel in Thailand can be a major cost-cutting factor. To get to the country, snag on one of the low-priced flights. If you are a student, use speciality sites which tailor deals and discounts for undergraduates. When in town, travel via buses. It is easy to understand the routes and they are well connected throughout all the cities. Taxis and other forms of transportation can turn out to be expensive. You may also choose to rent a bike for your duration.
- Save on Accommodation
One trick for cheap ways to visit Thailand is to cut on the lodging costs. While hotels may seem to be a comfortable option, it may be an expensive choice for accommodation. Especially if you are going on an only bachelors trip, opt for homestay options, guesthouses, hostel abode, couch surfing at strangers home, etc. Also, learn about the proximity of your stay to the top places to visit in Thailand. You must strategically locate yourself so that you do not spend much on travel to all the places.
- Live on the Street Side Treats
An unavoidable cost is that of food. However, it will not ruin your plan for a budget travel in Thailand. Food on an average is really cheap in all the cities and widely available with the street hawkers. Having said that, do not fret of the quality of food being served. Streetside delicacies are delicious and well-made with good quality products. Just be sure to pick busier stalls as their serving has quicker turnaround times.
- Know Where to Shop
One of the must things to do in Thailand is shopping. There are a number of malls that lure you with their offerings. However, the best possible rates for clothes, shoes, accessories etc. can be found at the marketplaces. You will surround yourself with bargain prices and especially at the weekend and midnight bazaars, the prices drop very low. Regardless of which city of Thailand you are in, seek out the markets every time when possible, because you certainly cannot beat the deals here. However, chalk out a budget plan for shopping and maintain your buys within that.
- Look Out for Cheap Booze Option
Making plans for a budget travel in Thailand means cutting down your spends on expensive alcohol. But, as young adults and bachelors, partying without such heavenly mixes is incomplete. Thailand is home to many interesting bars to chill out at and the list of places to party in Thailand is almost never-ending. Having said that, make certain of the prices of booze at these pubs. It is advisable to pre-drink and hit these clubs for the prices of alcohol are about ten times higher at the hubs. It also helps if you stay local in your choice of beverages because buying imported drinks will exhaust your budget with one purchase.
Sneaky Tips to Save Some More Cash
- Although Thailand is a year-round destination, opting to visit the country from May to August will cut down your overall costs by 15% to 20%. You will majorly save on accommodation as prices are slashed by half. Further to that, you will also get great deals on adventure sports. Bangkok is thriving with activities like scuba diving, snorkelling, underwater walk and so on.
- Make use of the BTS Skytrain and purchase a Rabbit card which comes preloaded with a number of trips at a flat rate. This makes your local travel convenient, fast and cheap.
- Buy a tower of beer or a bottle of liquor as it gives you a lot in much less spends.
- On landing at the airport, we often hop into the taxi services that the airports provide. However, you must avoid hopping into the prepaid airport taxis. It costs far more than using a usual metered taxi.
- Avoid exchanging currency in big hotels and tourists spots. They may charge you a high price in the name of commission rates. Look for small departmental stores or kiosks for the same. Also, remember that you must have your passport with you to exchange currency in Bangkok.
In the end, a little discipline and determination will make sure your Thailand holiday is on a budget. The key is to plan smartly and then stick to plan.
It is also a convenient option to get in touch with a travel agent who offers customisable itineraries to suit your needs. Just like we do, at iTraveller. You can experience Thailand’s mesmerising beaches, quaint beauty, dense jungles and lip-smacking food all while not burning a hole in your pocket. Get in touch with us and let us answer all your questions for how to travel cheap in Thailand.